Monday, April 09, 2007

pumpking and pancetta risotto

aaWeekendHerbBlogging

Pumpking and pancetta risotto

My organic box still brought me some sweet mama squash. Probably the last of the lot."Goobye! See you in about 9-month’s-time". Looking for what to do with my last squash of the lot I came across this delicious pumpkin and pancetta risotto in a Gordon Ramsey book – Gordon Ramsey A Chef for all Seasons. I once had a friend make me an utterly delicious pumpkin risotto and I had never dared preparing one after that.She is such a wonderful cook!! However, today I changed my mind as I thought that I could also take part in the Weekend Herb Blogging with it. This week's event is hosted by Anh. How delicious the risotto came out! And the colour is also soo beautiful. I am very happy to have used the last of my pumpkin in style and have killed two birds with one stone. Thanks for reminding me Pat!

Sweet mama squash is related to buttercup squash and has a lovely sweet flavour once they are cooked. It worked really well with the pancetta in the recipe. The mascarpone added a beautiful creaminess plus the wonderful taste of the parmesan. Would you like some? I would recommend that you visited this site to find out about all the different types of squash.

The amount below would serves 4 as a starter and 2 as a main dish.

40g pancetta, chopped
500-600ml light chicken stock ( I always tend to add a bit more - just in case I need it)
2 large shallots, chopped
500 pumpkin flesh cut into very small cubes - not bigger than 1 cm
3 tablespoons of olive oil
200g risotto rice (a 240ml cup)
240ml dry white wine ( Gordon says 100ml)
2 tablespoons mascarpone
25g freshly grated Parmesan cheese
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

  • heat a dry non-stick frying pan and, when hot, fry the pancetta until browned and crisp. Drain and set aside. Heat the stock to a gentle simmer in a saucepan.
  • in a large saucepan, gently sauté the shallots and pumpkin in the oil for about 5 minutes. Stir in the rice and cook for another 2 minutes to toast the grains. Pour in the wineand cook until reduced right down.
  • now pour in a quarter of the stock and stir well. Cook gently until the liquid has been absorbed, then stir in another ladleful of stock. Continue cooking and stirring, gradually adding the stock, until the rice grains are just tender.
  • about roughly 2 minutes before the end of cooking stir in the pancetta, mascarpone and half the parmesan. check the seasoning, then serve in warmed bowls, sprinkled with the remaining parmesan.
It's sinful!!

12 comments:

Brilynn said...

That looks delicious! I wish I could eat risotto everyday...

Patricia Scarpin said...

Tina, you know how I feel about risotto. So this is an attempt to make me crazy here at the office, I can tell. ;)

It's delicious and the color is wonderful. I wish I could have some!

Lis said...

Oh Valentina that is one gorgeous bowl of risotto! I love the color.

The flavors of the pancetta and the squash sound soooo good to me. This one is going in my book.. thanks for sharing. =)

xoxo

Anh said...

What a beautiful risotto! You make me crave for it right now! Thanks for joining WHB!

Ashok Kizhepat said...

looks delicious right!

Did you submit your site at

blogsearch.sg?

You can reach blogsearch by just typing blogsearch.sg in your browser window or click here

Valentina said...

Brilynn, so do I. It is so comforting,isn't it?And delicious of course.

Pat, I did have some cyber torture in mind!! ; 0 )

Lys, I thought that they two complented each other rather well. And after eating the left over this lunch time I have decided that I will just increase the amount of pancetta next time.

Anh, help yourself.; o )

Sher, I hope the taste will please you when you make it. ; o)I will have you in mind in future.

blogsearch, no, I didn't.

Anonymous said...

Oh my, Valentina - this sounds so amazing. I love how versatile risotto is!

Anonymous said...

What a pretty bowl of risotto! And with pumpkin, no less - sounds like an amazing combination!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

My goodness and mascarpone too...it would have to be really good. Great link for the squash.

Kalyn Denny said...

I love winter squash, but this is the first I've heard of the "sweet mama" squash. Thanks for the link to all the information about winter squash; what a great page. Your recipe sounds like a fabulous combination. Very nice recipe.

Valentina said...

gilly, that is also one of the greatest attractions of risottos - versatilily.

Shawnda, it is a delicious autumn/winter risotto. If anything the colour just cheers you up.

Kalyn, I also did not know this variety. I had to make some research. I'm glad you liked the link as well.

Dazy said...

I'm making this for lunch today. I think I'll try to shoot it, but I don't think it will be as pretty as your picture!