Monday, April 09, 2007

Avocado Pear with wasabi sauce

It was no special occasion rather than to try this recipe which had been tickling my senses. I first read about it last week on the Wednesday edition of The Guardian. Wednesday was the first day of a new cookery show, Neneh & Andi Dish it up. I vaguely remember Neneh Cherry and I definitely do not know Andi. Had never heard of her – excuse my musical ignorance. They were famous in the 80s I believe.

However, it does not matter here. The show will have them entertaining friends and family. The two are famous for cooking together, and always for family and friends. I would have loved to have got home in time for the show but when I arrived the credits were already coming up on the screen. I did, however, made the avocado pear with wasabi sauce as the idea of the wasabi with the avocado was terribly appealing. I foresaw a fabulous union: soft, creamy avocado dressed up in wasabi sauce. And I am so glad that I gave it a go as the result to my eyes is a fabulous marriage. I can see it going really well with grilled meat. I had it on its own because I wanted to try it first of all. I adapted the recipe to one avocado pear, and then had to prepare another one – couldn’t stop picking on it.

It is dead simple and with the nice weather coming up (not that it would matter to me) it is a serious container for all the garden meals I will have. By the way, you can see all the recipes of the show in the BBC Food website.


The quantities here are for 4 to 5 avocado pears, cored, peeled and sliced.


1 bunch of spring onions finely chopped


Sauce:

2 teaspoons wasabi

1-2 tablespoons olive oil

Juice of one lime

Black pepper


Mix all the sauce ingredients in a bowl.

Arrange the avocado slices on a serving dish, sprinkle with the spring onions and dress them with the sauce. I dare you to stop picking on it.

5 comments:

Pille said...

Sounds interesting and looks lovely!

Anonymous said...

I could see how this would work perfectly because avocado is used a lot in sushi...and we all know you gotta have wasabi with sushi!
Very refreshing!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Tina,

You know how we eat avocados here. Loaded with sugar and lime juice or blended into a smoothie. So it's great to see different ways to have it.

That's so classy, my friend. I'm willing to give it a try, I know I'm gonna like it.

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Wasabi, got to love it. I'd loose the dare.

Ona said...
This comment has been removed by the author.