Sunday, April 22, 2007

llittle daisy cakes

shf_logo

Since the first time I saw these cakes in one of the Waitrose publications I fell in love with them. They had this wonderful spring feel. Appealing to the eye, and hopefully to the taste too.

I had never worked with marzipan before – believe me, that was true then, but I decided to give it a go. I even got the nasty glace cherries. I completely loathe them. I always wonder how something as wonderful and delicious as cherries can be turned into this ghastly tasting thing. However, I decided to pretend not to care about them and get my cakes done. After all they had a role to play. The whole cake doesn’t take very long to prepare. They look so cute when ready to go into the oven that I couldn’t wait to see the final result. Once ready I couldn’t wait to prepare my cup of tea and enjoy the first bite. They are lovely cakes. The sort of thing you want in the middle of the afternoon, when a nice cup of tea is asking for company.

Sugar High Friday held by Monisha, seemed a perfect occasion to post them over here. A perfect celebration of what is to me one of the most wonderful seasons – spring. After all the dark, cold wet days of winter there comes this fabulous time of the year when colours are everywhere, we feel rejuvenated, ready to do loads of things. What most wonderful than little daisies?


Little Daisy cakes

200g butter, softened – plus a bit extra to grease the tins

200g white marzipan at room temperature

75g caster sugar

275g self-raising flour

5 eggs, beaten

2 tbsp milk

1 tsp almond extract

200g glace cherries

200g sultanas

25g flaked almonds

Preheat the oven – 150oC, gas mark 2. Generously grease 20 holes of muffin tins.

Cut the butter and marzipan into cubes and place in a large mixing bowl with the caster sugar. Beat with an electric whisk until pale, fluffy and completely combined. Sieve the flour into the marzipan mixture, add the eggs and beat together. Stir in the milk and almond extract. The cake mixture should have a soft dropping consistency.

Wash the syrup from the cherries, pat dry with kitchen roll, and then cut in half. Reserve 20 of the halves and stir the remaining cherries together with the sultanas, into the cake mixture. Spoon the mixture evenly into the 20 holes in the muffin tins. Arrange the flaked almonds on top of each cake and place one of the reserved cherry halves in the centre to make a flower pattern. Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the cakes are light golden, and a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre.


14 comments:

Patricia Scarpin said...

Tina, these are absolutely lovely! What a great way to take part in that event, dear!

Btw, I totally agree with your opinion on cherries - I think it's so hard to believe in such bad transformation. :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for participating! Just looking at your entry makes me happy. You're absolutely right, who wouldn't love these lil' daisies with tea!

Valentina said...

Pat,isn't it true?! How can they so complety ruin cherries like that? Baffles me.

Monisha, I loved this theme. What a great way to celebrate spring! Thank you for organizing it. ; o)

Anonymous said...

Valentina,

They're so sweet!!!

Lis said...

Awww Valentina those are the cutest lil cakes I've ever seen! I love them!

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Hi Valentina - these are so adorable - I love them!

Brilynn said...

Very cute! I still have figured out what I'm doing for shf...

Peabody said...

Very cute indeed...I once again forgot about SHF.

Anonymous said...

Is it possible to fall in love with a little cake? Well, I have! :):) They are simply fabulous

Helene said...

Super cute! I love the red sparkle from the fruit.

Gattina Cheung said...

oh my gosh, these little beauty!!!
I love almond, they are my kind of cake... gorgeous!

Valentina said...

Ivonne, aren't they just?!? From the moment I first saw them I fell in love instantly.

Lis, they look really lovely in a gift box.

Gilly, this recipe is going to be one of my favourites when it comes to treating a special friend to a little cake.

Brillyn, I so know how you are feeling. I actually baked two other things and ended up going for this recipe.Indecision, indecision...

Peabody, I am not very good at remembering but my dear friend patricia keeps reminding me of them.Thanks to her I post in time.

She, it is indeed.; o )

Helene, this horrible tasting cherries play a good role here, don't they?!?

Gattina, thank you.coming from you who always makes the most wonderful creations I feel rather humbled.

Anita said...

They are so adorable! I love your idea of the flowers!

Maria of Passion Fruit & Mangos said...

Those cakes look so perfectly delicious- I wish I had one right now to go with my cup of tea!