Monday, April 02, 2007

Passion fruit yoghurt cake with passion fruit syrup


I have been a very big fan of Julie Le Clerk since I made the first recipe from one of her books. Well, truth is that the book made me a big fan of hers. As I walked my way through it – believe me, I baked/cooked an awful lot from that publication, I just consolidated my admiration. One day browsing through Amazon I learnt that she had a book on small cakes. I LOVE small cakes so I ordered that. The other week I decided to bake this little cake recipe with passion fruit yoghurt in it. Boy, I had a hard time looking for passion fruit in the supermarkets. No idea why that was so. Up to a month ago – or at least that‘s how I remember it, I could find passion fruit yoghurt all the time. Now what I can find is a mixture of passion fruit and peach. Across all brands I come across. Do these people sign some sort of agreement where it says what flavours they should all go for? Like a Daring Bakers of the yoghurt world?

I finally found some passion fruit yoghurt and went to bake this pretty little treat.Sorry? Why didn’t I change the yoghurt to a different flavour? Well, I love passion fruit you see. And I really wanted to use that. Obviously I would have used a different flavour had I struggled for a few more days. I was so pleased that I chose to stick to the original flavour in the end. The final cake all soaked in syrup is just deliciously tangy, and tastes heaps nicer the following day. I baked them for a friend and I shall be baking some more soon. I might try strawberries next time. I don’t think that I will be exciting with a non-tangy fruit as peach – as much as peach is delicious.

1 cup (240ml) canola oil (I tend to use groundnut oil)
1 ½ cups sugar (I measure 180g per cup)
2 eggs – large
1 cup (the same 240ml one as above) passion fruit yoghurt
Juice and rind of 2 lemons
2 cups (I measure 125g per cup) self-raising flour or 2 cups normal flour plus 2 teaspoons baking flour


Heat the oven to 160oC – 140oC if fan assisted. Grease 12 muffin tins or one 20cm round baking pan.

Beat the sugar and oil until well mixed. Low the speed and add the eggs, one at a time, then beat until creamy. Add the yoghurt, lemon juice and rind and mix it all with a wooden spoon. Incorporate the sieved flour taking care not to over mix it – unless you like heavy and stodgy cakes, in which case go ahead. Divide the mixture between the cases and bake for approximately 20 min. When ready let it cool in the tin for approximately 5 minutes before transferring it to a rack. Prepare the syrup and pour it over the little cakes whilst still hot.

Syrup:
½ cup lemon juice
½ cup water
1 cup sugar (180g)
½ cup of passion fruit pulp with seeds and all

Put all the ingredients in a small pan and heat it up until the sugar is completely dissolved. Never stop stirring – boring but worth it in the end.

5 comments:

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Sometimes I think you are right, they do change things just to make life difficult for"me". Glad you stuck to your guns and got the passion fruit. Little cakes are just about perfect!

Patricia Scarpin said...

These cakes are heavenly, Tina - I love passionfruit too (acidic flavors are really my "thing") and I doubt it that any other yogurt flavor would be as fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Looks so good! I like the small cakes, too!

Paz

Helene said...

Every time I see passion fruit here in South Carolina, I end up buying a case as they are rare to come by. Great recipe! i am glad you like the book, it's been on my wish list for a while, but you have pushed me to finally order it!

Lis said...

OMG that looks amazing! I had never had passion fruit until Morven sent me some passion fruit syrup - it's heavenly! I can't get over how moist & delicious this cake looks.. well done!

xoxo