Saturday, February 04, 2006

Steamed Mussels with wine and parsley leaf



I am a big fan of seafood. Mussels were something that I would always have at friends' house or in restaurants. However today on getting to my local fishmonger's I decided that it was about time I prepared my own. I guess I was into setting myself a challenge. Not that I thought it was a particularly difficult dish but I knew that you had be to careful about selecting the 'good' ones to prepare. I have a book by a once fishmonger who is now a chef, Mitchell Tonks, and sometimes I go to if for seafood recipes. I chose a very simple and terribly yummy recipe. If you are a lover of mussels as I am I do recommend the recipe. The juices have a lovely taste because of the wine, garlic and shallots. I even had some bread to soak up the juices left in the pan.

Allow 600g of mussels per person as a main course and 300 grams as a starter. The amount below is for a 6oog portion. Just half or double it according to your needs.

2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 shallot,finely chopped
a glug of olive oil
25g butter
1 wineglass of dry white wine
a handfull of fresh parsley leaves, chopped


Put the olive oil and butter into a large pan and add the garlic and shallot.Cook gently until softned. Do not allow them to brown. Add the wine, boil for a minute and then add the mussels. Replace the lid and cook, giving the pan a shake form time to time. The mussels are ready when they have opened - discard any that don't. Spoon the mussels into a serving bowl, then stir the parsley into the juices in the pan and pour over the mussels.

Yummy.

4 comments:

paz said...

How delicious looking! I'm a big fan of mussels even though I don't eat them a lot. I like this recipe! Love the photo!

Paz

Karen said...

Love mussels! Must be lovely with some pasta!

valentina said...

Paz, that makes two of us. I once had some cooked in coconut milk.Very asian tasting.Perhaps I will give that a go next time.Do you have a recipe to recommend?

Karen, I can see them on a bed of linguini.Yum!

Paz said...

Hi Valentina, I've never heard of the mussels cooked in the coconut milk before. That sounds very interesting. I'd love to see you blog about it. I'll keep my eyes open for a recipe.

Paz