Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Cinnamon and mascarpone ice cream



I bought this Marie Claire book entitled Flavours a year ago. I fell in love with the way it is laid out. The chapters are: Vanilla, Lemon & Lime, Ginger, Chilli, Garlic & Onion, Chocolate, Salt & Pepper, Basil & Mint, Cinnamon & Spice.

This recipe is one of many that I have selected as to be prepared. On an impulse I went out and bought myself an ice cream maker and finally my recipe materialized. However, you do not need an ice cream maker to prepare this recipe.

The result was velvety, very creamy, with a wonderful cinnamon taste in the background. I know we are in winter but as a friend’s Italian dad used to say ‘Why do people think that ice cream is only for summer?’ – he was the owner of an ice cream parlour back in Brazil.

1 ½ cups sugar

1 ¾ cups (14 fl oz) water

2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

450g (14 oz) mascarpone

½ cup (4 fl oz) cream

Place the sugar and water in a saucepan over low heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Simmer for 3 minutes, then remove from the heat, add the cinnamon and leave the syrup until cool.

Mix the syrup with the mascarpone and cream. Place in an ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer’s instructions until the ice cream is thick and scoopable.

Serve in scoops with fruit and crisp biscuits. Serves 6.

Note: if the mascarpone is not available, combine equal amounts of cream cheese and thick (double cream).

Enjoy!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Goodness Val, I want some!! Make sure that when I am next visiting you, that you have some of that in your freezer ;-)

That is a great effort. Perfect on your first attempt!!

I agree with your friends' Dad... ice-cream is not seasonal. Adios! Sam xxx

Anonymous said...

Valentina, I've been using the book a lot too :) I've made mascarpone ice-cream before (with somebody else's recipe) but I found it a little too rich - I guess adding cinnamon really helps. Beautiful picture!

Anonymous said...

Yum!
Paz