Friday, April 14, 2006

Vin Santo Risotto with Prosciutto



One of the magazines I subscribe brought up this issue entitled Italian Special. I find that in the UK there is a bit of an obsession with all things Italian. Anyhow, flicking through the magazine I came across this risotto recipe and the vin santo was what attracted me to it.

Don’t take me wrong, I love rice and risottos. Being Brazilian by birth I find it nearly impossible not to like rice since it is ‘staple’ food for us, we eat it every single day. What attracts me to dishes is the twist given to the ‘ordinary’, the special touch. I had NEVER eaten anything cooked with either vin santo or Marsala. I ended up using Marsala as there was no vin santo in the cupboards.

I have printed the recipe as it has been published but I made a few adaptations: a) I used vegetable stock – bouillon; b) I didn’t use celery – only the onions; sometimes I find celery quite overpowering; c)as I have already told you, I used the Marsala as opposed to the vin santo. The result was a lovely dish, with a beautiful, slightly sweetend taste to it. Not too sweet by any means. It had a sophisticated sweetness to it.

1 litre chicken stock

150g unsalted butter

1 red onion, finely chopped

2 celery stalks, chopped

250g risotto rice

350ml vin santo (Italian dessert wine) or dry Marsala

100g Parmesan, grated

8 slices prosciuto to serve

Bring the chicken stock to a simmer and adjust the seasoning. Melt half the butter in a heavy-based saucepan. Gently fry the onion and celery over a low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add the rice and stir until each grain is coated. Add 250ml vin santo or Marsala and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring, until it has almost been absorbed by the rice. Start to stir in the stock, a ladleful at a time, only adding more stock when the last has been absorbed. Continue adding the stock and stir until the rice is cooked – about 20-25 minutes.

Remove the risotto from the heat and stir in the remaining vin santo/Madeira and butter and the grated Parmesan.

Spoon into shallow bowls and top with the prosciutto slices and extra shavings of Parmesan to serve.

No comments: