Sunday, April 30, 2006

Chickpeas with Pomegranate Molasses



I am a very big fan of chickpeas. There is something about them that makes me eat non-stop. It’s horrendous. I can easily eat 400g in one sitting. I have, however, been working really hard on my self-control. I now restrict myself to eating them socially. It was in my social mission of sharing chickpeas with my dear friends that I prepared this wonderful recipe. It has a strong North African influence.

The recipe is from the Casa Moro The Second Book. If you are not familiar with this book I recommend that you borrow it from your local library and have a browse. The influence is from the cuisine of South Spain and North Africa. Having been to their restaurant in London I became an even bigger fan of theirs.

Back to the recipe:


450g home-cooked chickpeas (200g dry weight) or 2 x 400g cans cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed

4 tablespoons olive oil

3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced

3 tablespoons Pomegranate Molasses ( I bought mine in a Morocan store - I also have a recipe for home made molasse ; let mek now if you would like that)

200ml cold water or a mixture of chickpeas liquor and water

About 60 threads saffron, infused in 4 tablespoons boiling water

3 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh coriander

Seeds of 1 pomegranate

Sea salt and black pepper (I used cumin instead)


Place a large saucepan over a medium heat and add the olive oil. When hot but not smoking, add the garlic and fry until nutty brown. Now add the drained chickpeas, pomegranate molasses, water and saffron infusion and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in coriander and season with salt and pepper. Finally, sprinkle in the pomegranate seeds. Taste and serve with fish or on its own as part of a selection of mezze. It goes really well with toasted pita bread.

2 comments:

Ana said...

It is funny to read your comments about chickpeas... I am exactly like you, can eat them with no self-control at all.
I like to cook them from scratch, but that is so dangerous, the more I cook the more I eat... so sometimes I just use the canned ones, and let me tell you, I can eat a whole can myself.
Chickpeas rock, I love them!
Your recipe sounds interestingly good! But let me ask you Valentina, the pomegranate molasses... does it tastes like molasses? Or more like pommegranates? I know, this question may sound a little silly, but I was just curious, as I am not a big fan of molasses myself.
Love your blog, it is so pretty!
Ana

Anonymous said...

I've tried this recipe too ;)