Monday, May 07, 2007

passion fruit cake

My good friend Patricia was the one who first told me about the event being hosted by Barbara from Winos and Foodies - 'A Taste of Yellow' in aid of the Armstrong foundation. When I heard what it was really about I decided to take part as I have lost a few people close to my heart who suffered of this terrible disease.
livestrong logo

I lost a very, very dear friend to breast cancer a few years back. We were house mates and I was with her from the beginning. She was a fighter and survived for 5 years. Andrea would have loved this cake. She loved trying new recipes. Barbara is a fighter and a surviver and this cake is also for her.I chose to bake a Brazilian version of passion fruit cake. We love passion fruit cake in Brazil and there are different versions of it. This one recipe I got from a wonderful Brazilian story teller called Sonia Novaes. The cake is lovely, slightly tangy. I like having a lovely cup of coffee with it.

Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:

2 cups sugar (360g)
2 cups plain flour (250g)

1 cup of passion fruit juice, no seeds

60g butter
1 tablespoon baking powder

5 eggs separated

Preheat the oven to 180oC – 160oC if you have a fan assisted oven. Grease and flour a bundt pan or a 31 cm x 22 cm baking tin (approximate measurement).

Beat the sugar, butter and egg yolks until the mixture is creamy and paler – about five minutes. Then intercalate the addition of flour and passion fruit juice, always mixing it with a wooden spoon. Once the two ingredients are fully incorporated add the baking powder followed by the egg whites. When you add the egg whites put 1/3 of it first, mix gently to incorporate and only then add the rest. Pour the mixture into the reserved baking tin and put it in the oven. Bake it for approximately 30 min.



When the cake is ready let it cool for 5 minutes in the tin before transferring it to a rack. Proceed to prepare the passion fruit syrup:

Pour 1 cup of passion fruit juice – seeds and all, in a pan followed by 1 cup of sugar and a few drops of lemon juice. Stir it until the sugar is dissolved. When it starts to boil remove it from the fire and drizzle the cake with it.

7 comments:

Patricia Scarpin said...

Tina, what an amazing choice for this event. And with a Brazilian touch, what makes it even more special.

I loved it!

Unknown said...

This is wonderful Patricia. I think I'm going to go and eat as it is making me hungry. Thank you for your entry.

Anonymous said...

Very, very nice. I like the Brazilian version of anything.

Paz

Peabody said...

Way to stand out...I haven't seen this anywhere else!

Valentina said...

Pat, this recipe is great. Absolutely delicous. and keeps pretty well too.

Barbara, the pleasure was mine.

Paz, you should try this recipe. if you have a brazilian store near you by the concentrated passion fruit juice.

Peabody, passionfruit cakes are big in Brazil. And this recipe is defintelly delicous. and quick preparation as well.

Kristen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marla said...

I just stumbled on this recipe today and am wondering if 60g is what you meant for the butter. That's only about one fifth of a cup, right?