Friday, May 18, 2007

Avocado and chickpea salad

I have already spoken about the way we eat avocado in Brazil here. In my new phase, I have become a great eater of avocado in salads. This time I went for a simple but fairly delicious specimen where creamy avocado contrasts with crunchy chickpeas. Both embrace the delicious taste of mint – cooling and warming at the same time, and you are in for a delicious dish of greenery. It is such a green salad, perfect for spring. It lifts your spirit just looking at it. Back home we say that green means hope, good vibes and this dish surely embodies it. Hope of lovelier spring days ahead, hope that there will be more gorgeous salads like this one, hope that you will all feel tempted and give it a go as well.

This was just the dish I chose for Weekend Herb Blogging, this time hosted by Rinku of Cooking in Westchester. I missed WHB last week, with me going away for the weekend and all, plus working late every single day, I did not get the time to prepare my post.So t his week I just cannot miss it as it is an event I have very much grown to like.

aaWeekendHerbBlogging


Avocado and chickpea salad


400g cooked chickpeas ( if using uncooked you will need about 250g before you cook them)

1 avocado, peeled and quartered

½ cup mint leaves

Lettuce leaves

¼ cup lime juice

1 tablespoon olive oil

½ teaspoon sugar

Sea salt and cracked black pepper


If you are a pacient person, roughly chop the chickpeas. I am not patient to this extent so I had my chickpeas as they were supposed to be eaten: whole. Combine the chickpeas with the avocado slices and mint – I love mint! Arrange the lettuce leaves on a serving plate/salad dish and place the chickpea,mint & avocado combo on top. In a separate small bowl mix the lime juice, olive oil, sal and black pepper. Give it a good
mix and pour over this beautiful salad.

9 comments:

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

We have lovely mint growing by leaps and bounds and I just never think of picking it, maybe because it's off in a corner by its self!
This looks so spectacular, I promise I'll try to remember the mint!

Lis said...

Valentina that salad sounds wonderful!! Perfect for spring!

xoxo

Pille said...

Sounds healthy and looks good (I love chickpeas!), so what else can one expect from a salad?!

Kalyn Denny said...

It does sound quite delicious. I love chickpeas and mint and avocado, so this is perfect for me!

Anonymous said...

Oh, oh! I love this recipe! I can't wait to try it.

Paz

Valentina said...

Tanna, oh, if I were your neighbour I would ask for some.

Lis, I agree with you.

Pille, chickpeas are so delicious!! can't resist.

Kalyn, I never thought that these ingredients would work so well together.

Paz, I hope you like it as much as I do.; o )

Creativecook said...

Thank you so much for your entry. I too shall be visiting your blog frequently. When we visited Brazil, we loved the food. I am glad to find a place to find some inspiration.

Valentina said...

You have been to Brazil? How great.Whereabouts did you go?I will try and add some Brazilian dishes /baked goods here as well.; o )

Anonymous said...

Wow...this is a delicious-looking salad! What a great combo of ingredients... I have mint just getting underway in my garden this year again, and I think I'm going to definitely put it to use in this, as soon as it gets big enough for cooking purposes.