Saturday, February 17, 2007

Scottish Pancakes

I’ve always really enjoyed Scottish pancakes. Firstly because they are small. Secondly because of how great they taste. They are not blow-your-mind delicious, but have a gentle ‘deliciousness’ about them that does it for me. I used to buy small packages at Marks & Spencers and eat them up as if there was no tomorrow. Seriously. I find it quite charming that they are treated like toast and we eat them with butter and/or jam. I love toasting them. They are also great with scrambled eggs.

In preparation to pancake day I decided to prepare some Scottish pancakes. And had them with a tad of butter. The next day I still had some so I only had them toasted with butter again. I had no jam in the house so butter was the only option.

This time round I have used Nigella Lawson’s recipe from the beautiful book ‘Feast’. This is definitely the best Scottish pancake recipe I have ever prepared. Approved even by a scott.

Here it goes:

½ teaspoon white wine vinegar

150ml milk – room temperature

110g plain flour

½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda

1 egg

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

1 tablespoon golden syrup

Put the vinegar into the milk and set aside. Put the flour into a bowl and add the bicarbonate of soda. In another jug or bowl add the egg, oil and then with the oily spoon measure the syrup in and whisk everything together. Add the vinegary milk, and then add the jug of wet ingredients to the dry, whisking to a batter.

Heat a flat griddle or heavy non-stick pan with no oil. Add 1 ½ tablespoons of batter to make each pancake, and then when bubbles appear flip them over to make them golden brown on either side.

7 comments:

Sam said...

i love, love love, Scottick pancakes, and you cn't get them here in the US and I love them, soI am definitely going to try out your recipe (or nigella's recipe, I should say),

thanks!

Sam said...

duh - clearly typing to fast and meant 'Scottish'

Patricia Scarpin said...

I've had this book for such a long time and but have never felt like making any of the recipes - your post, not to mention the delicious pancakes, inspire me to try something.

The pancakes look delicios, Tina, I've never had Scottish pancakes!

Valentina said...

Sam, what a shame! I also leave away from my home country and there are things taht I cannot find abroad. I hope you like these pancakes.my boyfriend is Scottish and really enjoyed them. So I guess it is a thumbs-up.!!

PAt, you should try these pancakes. They are really charming. As for the book, give it a go. I think that the reviews were not very good but I do think that they did not make it justice.

Anonymous said...

We love pancakes in this house. These seem almost like American pancakes with just a slight difference. I love trying new recipes! Thanks for sharing this!

Valentina said...

Kristen, my pleasure. funny you mention the similarity with american pancakes as I did read something on those lines.

Linda said...

anything quoted as "blog your mind off" delicious deserves a taste! love the photo!