Sunday, February 04, 2007

lavender rice pudding

I saw this dish for the first time in the beautiful blog ‘Café Fernando’. What attracted me to it first was the lavender ingredient. I have always loved the smell of lavender and last year I baked with lavender for the first time. The way all the senses are touched by this ingredient fascinates me. Plus I also had some lavender in the cupboard so I decided to use it.

The experience was fantastic. If anything it was relaxing. I had it cold as per Cenk’s post. Even though I am not a big fan of rice pudding I did enjoy it. I just thought that Cenk’s was creamier than mine. I did forget to cover it with cling film when in the fridge so I wonder if the pudding lost a bit of its moisture like that.

Cenk, thank you for this experience!

Below I put the ingredients and how to prepare exactly as per Cenk’s post – but do visit his blog if you haven’t yet done it as it is a beautiful space. This is the way to Café Fernando.

Lavender Rice Pudding

Ingredients

1/2 cup Arborio rice

2 1/2 cups whole milk

1 cup boiling water

2 tablespoons lavender

2/3 cup sugar

2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch

Method

Put milk, sugar and lavender in a small pot, bring to boiling point, take off heat and let steep for 30 minutes minimum. Put the rice together with boiling water in a small pot and cook on medium heat with lid half closed for 15 minutes, until all the water is absorbed by the rice.

In a small bowl, mix cornstarch together with a couple teaspoons of water and add a bit of hot milk to increase its temperature. Then add the whole thing into the milk. Transfer the infused milk through a strainer into the rice and cook for 30 minutes or so, until you reach the desired consistency. Transfer the pudding into your serving dish and refrigerate (covered with plastic wrap) until serving.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, wow! This recipe sounds so dreamy. I like the lavender part. ;-)

Paz

Anonymous said...

I can see these flavors mingling so well together! Yum!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Dear Tina,

This recipe has been on my mind since I first saw it on Cenk's blog. And it made me really curious because I've never used lavender before.

Your rice pudding is so beautiful! I love the lavender color, so intense and vibrant.

Great choice!!

Pille said...

Nice to see you blogging again! I've made few different rice puddings recently, but not a lavender one. Once I get hold of some good lavender blossoms, I promise to give your recipe a go!

Anonymous said...

Hi Valentina,
It is really exciting to see another blogger try one of my recipes (and like it, too). I also think that milk and lavender makes a great couple in desserts. Thanks for your nice comments. By the way, the picture with the pot looks amazing!

Valentina said...

Paz, if you like lavender you should def give it a go. Just the heating up of the milk with the lavender already made the whole experience worthwhile.

Bea, it is indeed a lovely combination.

Pille, things got realy busy last year and couldn't cope with all the blogs I decided to mantain.It is lovely to be back.I am very interested in your rice pudding recipes. I will have to have a rummage in your blog.

PAt, I will send you some lavender so that you can give it a go. I would love to hear your feedback.

Cenk, I really enjoyed the whole preparation of this recipe. Thank you for sharing it with us. You mentioned other recipes where again you have lavender and milk? Could I ask for one?

Anonymous said...

Hi Valentina - hope you had a lovely time in Brazil. Looking forward to reading more of your beautiful posts, the pudding looks divine! kx

Valentina said...

Hi Keiko , I had a lovely time at home. It was very welcome because I had a very, very busy last couple of months.WhenI left the UK I was so exhausted. REally need a rest.Lovely to see you here.