Sunday, March 26, 2006

Three Cheese Tart

Another lovely little recipe from issue 5 of the Donna Hay magazine. It kept tickling me for a while and I finally gave in and prepared it. It tastes really lovely. The recipe says ‘eat cold or hot’. Personally I prefer it hot. Lovely with a beautiful green salad.

It is pretty quick to put together. You could even say that the most laborious bit is the buttering of the filo. When you put it on the table it looks really pretty which is also nice as I am a firm believer in that eating starts with the eyes.

8 sheets filo pastry

60g butter melted

Filling

500g fresh ricotta cheese

2 eggs

½ cup finely grated parmesan cheese

100g mild blue vein cheese, finely chopped

1 tablespoon oregano leaves

Sea salt and cracked black pepper


Rectangular tart tin with removable base – 11 cm x 34 cm


Preheat the oven to 180oC/ 160o fan/ 350oF. Brush a sheet of filo with melted butter. Top with another sheet and brush with more butter. Repeat with the remaining sheets and butter. Place the pastry into the tart tin and trim any excess.

To make the filling, combine the ricotta, eggs, parmesan, blue vein cheese, oregano, salt and pepper in a bowl. Spoon into the pastry shell and bake for 30 minutes or until the filling is set and golden. Serve warm or cold. Serves 6.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks to good not to try. I am passionate about my cheeses...and the light pastry, I can only imagine sets off the recipe just perfectly. I will let you know how I get on.
Love
Sam
xxx

Anonymous said...

Hi Valentina - this looks/sounds lovely indeed, I'd like to give it a try when we do bbq in the summer. Do you think I can omit the parmesan?

Posy Quarterman said...

Oh my oh my! I just stumbled upon your beautiful blog and it has made me so hungry! Your recipes look and sound deeelish!

Anonymous said...

Valentina, you've got some wonderful, delicious looking foods here! I have to come back and copy all the recipes. Better yet, move to your place and be your taste tester! Yum, yum, yum!

Have a great week!

Best,
Paz