Saturday, March 04, 2006

Tagliatele with tuna and crisp spiced crumbs

My weekdays are often quite rushed; I spend most of my time on the train to and back from London and at work. I do make a point of preparing my own food. I love to cook things I like or even just things that I would like to try. Whenever I happen to be far too tired or unwell and need resorting to the local shops for my food it is always a lot of money spent in something not as satisfying. I end up quite upset about it. Back to the recipe, I tend to go for pasta as a main meal dish during the week because a) I love pasta, b) its versatility is a great ally in my weekly quest for eating well as I can use different sauces and mixtures, c) often it is filling enough to be a ‘all-in-one’ meal..

This recipe attracted me because of the breadcrumb element. I would not have thought of using pasta and breadcrumb in one single recipe as it would have seemed to dry and unattractive. However, even though I was not hit on the head, the spicy element of the recipe made me give it a go. And how surprised was I at the result. It was different in that there were some unusual textures that fascinated me. Plus the flavours. Put aside your prejudices if you can and give it a go. It is worth it. The recipe was taken from a Donna Hay magazine, issue 10.\

200g tagliatelle

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 cup coarse fresh breadcrumbs

1 clove garlic, crushed

1 long red chilli, deseeded and chopped

1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind

1 tablespoon olive oil, extra

2 courgettes, peeled into strips

1 x 185g can tuna in oil, drained

2 tablespoons black olives

½ cup rocket

¼ cup lemon juice

Sea salt and cracked black pepper

Cook the pasta in a large saucepan of salted boiling water until al dente. Drain and return to the saucepan to keep warm. While the pasta is cooking, heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the breadcrumbs, garlic, chilli and lemon rind and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until crisp and golden. Set aside. Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Add the extra oil and courgette and cook for 2 minutes or until just tender. Toss half the breadcrumb mixture, courgette, tuna, olives, rocket, lemon juice, salt and pepper through the pasta. To serve, sprinkle with the remaining breadcrumb mixture.


Fran said...

Pasta dishes are wonderful I love the idea of adding the tuna for extra protein. Know what you mean about wanting to prepare your own food.

valentina said...

Fran, I am mad about pasta. Do you also prepare your own food?