Saturday, October 18, 2008

Cauliflowers and Weekend Herb Blogging

It is that time of the week when I post my contribution to Kalyn’s Weekend Herb blogging. Being a weekly event I always have something to look forward to for my English language posts. If you are reading this post and do not know about Weekend Herb Blogging, please click on the link to get more details about the rules and who is hosting the events in the different weeks. This week it is being hosted by Amy and Jonny from We Are Never Full. WHB is reaching its 3rd birthday and it is indeed a reason for loads of us to celebrate the opportunity to meet so many interesting people who often take part. This week my post is also part of an event that I host at one of my Portuguese language blogs. I was glad that Kalyn was Ok with this dual contribution. I also recommend that you pay Kalyn's blog a visit - Kalyn's Kitchen. it is packed with lovely and very healthy recipes.

I have always loved cauliflower – baked, raw, in soup. Reading a bit more about it in order to write this post I learnt that there are other varieties apart from the white one – the green and purple types. I am not too sure that I have seen them yet. It got me really curious. I did read that it is very rich in fibre, and is also has potassium, is high in vitamin C ( I had no idea), is equally a good source of protein, phosphorous and calcium. It is terribly low in fat and calories. Perfect for a snack. If you decide to boil it, by squeezing lime juice in the water the cauliflower will keep its beautiful white colour.
In this recipe I chose to have it fried. For the first time. It is not deep fried, just shallowed fried. In the end it is coated in lovely spices: coriander, fennel and cumin. I absolutely adored the final result. So unexpectedly delicious. Makes a great side dish to grilled meats. I do confess that I had it on its own as I could not stop picking it. My inspiration was the wonderful book Moro East by Sam & Sam Clark.

Ingredients:
1 tsp coriander seeds
½ tsp cumin seeds
¼ tsp fennel seeds
8 peppercorns
Sunflower or peanut oil for frying
1 medium head of cauliflower, stalk removed, broken into florets
(Maldon) sea salt
Lemon wedges to serve

Grind the spices with the peppercorns and set aside. Pour 1cm depth oil into a large saucepan over a medium to high heat. When hot, add the cauliflower and fry on all sides until tender and slightly golden. Drain well on kitchen paper and season to taste with salt.
Mix the spices with the cauliflower by scattering the mixture all over them. Serve with the lemon wedges on the side, and if I were you I would leave the remaining spice mixture at hand just in case you want to sprinkle some more over the cauliflower. It will be difficult to resist.

7 comments:

lululu said...

The only way I cook cauliflower that my husband will eat is baking with bechamel sauce.

I'm soooooooooooo trying yours. I think me and my husband will love it too!!!

Kalyn Denny said...

I think roasted cauliflower is just heavenly; love it!

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

This sounds like a good way to enjoy cauliflower! I haven't had any for ages actually, I must buy some soon! I saw a really good recipe on a river cottage episode last night which was breaded gooey cheese with a spicy cauliflower sauce to dip it in. Yum!

Cynthia said...

Lately, I have been steaming it (cauliflower), then cooling it down and adding fresh homemade basil pesto to it. I like the idea of it being roasted.

Valentina said...

Lululu, have you had a chance to try it?

Kalyn, the flavour is divine.The spices take the cauliflower to a fabulous new dimension

Holler, just got some more cauliflower. I will try cynthia's suggestion below.

Cynthia, I love the steaming idea followed by the pesto.must try.

Anonymous said...

Its great.........a healthy weekend diet.

Ulla said...

That looks so good!