Sunday, March 05, 2006

Basic Cookie Recipe

Cookies are always a nice gift for someone. They tend to please kids and grown ups alike. Reading one of the Donna Hay magazines I have, issue 10, I came across this fun article: RollScoopCut – one cookie dough three ways. I choose to start by the roll and use jam as filling. I had never eaten or seen cookies with a filling of jam before.

The dough is pretty cool. I prepared it at night and ended up leaving it in the fridge over night as I just felt too tired before it baking time. When I finally got to preparing it the following day I only made half of it and the other half remained in the fridge for an extra day.

Now, I always recommend/prefer baking goods straight away. However, I found it very comforting to find out that when unexpected circumstances prevented me from baking my cookies straight away I still came across I nice dough a couple of days later. It is good in case we need some forward preparation.

250g butter, softened

168g sugar

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 egg yolk

281 g plain flour, sifted

Place the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until pale and creamy. Add the vanilla and egg yolk and beat to combine. Beat in the flour until a smooth dough forms. Press the dough into a 20 x 30cm (8 x 12 in) tin lined with non stick baking paper and smooth the surface with your fingers. Spread with 2 ½ tablespoons jam of your preference and roll up lengthwise. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 45 minutes or until firm.

Meanwhile pre-heat the oven to 180oC (3500F). Remove the dough from the oven and slice into medium slices (not too thin) and place on baking trays lined with non-stick baking paper. Remember to leave enough space between each cookie as they spread a bit. Bake for approximately 15-18 minutes or until light golden. Cool on a wire rack.

No comments: